The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-16 22:12:18

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Cinnamon or Gnome 3 with Devuan ASCII with apt-pinning

I found three ways to get shutdown and reboot working at the login screen. These all count as workarounds, not a fix.

1. Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and change the greeter-user to root. That's probably a bad idea for security reasons.

2. Replace lightdm with lxdm (without recommends) and with the elogind backend/gobject libs, without consolekit. I did need to add libck-connector0.

3. Install consolekit (with lightdm, not lxdm). The approprate libraries will replace the ones for elogind, but elogind will still be installed. Reboot and shutdown will work from the login screen, but from the desktop, they'll just log you out.

Oh, wait. If you run 'pam-auth-update' and uncheck the box for elogind, then shutdown and reboot work in both desktop and login screen. (reboot or cycle through init 1 to get it to change.) This (#3) might actually be working.

Every time I've gone in to mess with polkit stuff, I've been disappointed with the results.

#27 2018-09-17 05:59:03

Debuser2018

@fsmithred: I installed lxdm (without recommended) and it worked. poweroff and restart buttons are working. I had already purged lightdm. Thanks for the tip. But, I wonder if lightdm pulled from testing will work or not with ascii.

#28 2018-09-18 14:27:38

fsmithred
Administrator

I doubt that newer versions of lightdm will be different. I think the deps are the same as the ascii version. (I know it still wants consolekit.)

#29 Yesterday 17:16:27

Debuser2018

How do I replicate this Devuan Ascii installation on other systems? Is there a way, to create a list of packages that are installed currently and installed during installation?

#30 Yesterday 17:59:45

fsmithred
Administrator

One way to do it is to save the package list in a file, then use that list on a new system to get the same installed packages. Check 'man dpkg' before you do this.
On the old system:

dpkg --get-selections > package_list

On the new system:

dpkg --set-selections < package_list

Another way is to run refractasnapshot in a root terminal and make a bootable live-iso copy of your current system (installed packages and configs) and use that to install on other computers. This is my preferred method.

Board footer