The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-26 23:13:07

Altoid

Timeshift 18.8 and Devuan ASCII

Hello:

I'm needing a system restore app and, having used it on other distros, was wondering if anyone here has installed Timeshift.

TimeShift
https://launchpad.net/timeshift

TimeShift for Linux is an application that provides functionality similar to the System Restore feature in Windows and the Time Machine tool in Mac OS. TimeShift protects your system by taking incremental snapshots of the file system at regular intervals. These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.

Snapshots are taken using rsync and hard-links. Common files are shared between snapshots which saves disk space. Each snapshot is a full system backup that can be browsed with a file manager.

TimeShift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.

These are the links:

https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift … stallation
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/releases

A *.RUN installer which I have never used before is available for download.

Will it work properly (thinking dependencies and such) with Devuan ASCII?

Thanks in advance.

A.

#2 2018-08-27 18:42:08

GNUser

Re: Timeshift 18.8 and Devuan ASCII

I tried timeshift a while back, but found it too complicated. Also, I tried about 5 restores and one of them failed, leaving my system unbootable. I'd like to recommend partclone to you. It is simple and has never let me down after many years of use. It creates a compact image of your partition (by excluding empty space), which you can restore if something goes wrong.

If you are interested, this is how to use it (assuming your Devuan ASCII partition is /dev/sda1 and your filesystem is ext4):

To create backup: Boot into a live USB (or any partition other than the one you want to backup), plug in external storage device, and run these commands:

cd /path/to/external/storage/
sudo partclone.ext4 -c -s /dev/sda1 -o backupname

To restore backup: Boot into a live USB (or any partition other than the one you want to restore), plug in external storage device, and run these commands:

cd /path/to/external/storage/
sudo partclone.ext4 -r -s backupname -o /dev/sda1

Because partclone excludes empty space, its backups are much smaller and backup/restore times shorter than you'd get with a tool like dd.

I realize none of this answers your question, but I thought I'd share in case you are interested in alternatives as well as timeshift.

Last edited by GNUser (2018-08-27 19:26:55)

#3 2018-08-27 19:24:33

Altoid

Hello:

GNUser wrote:

... found it too complicated.
... tried about 5 restores and one of them failed

Yes, I know that it will render any legacy grub system unbootable.
I have had good comments after introducing it into the PCLinux forum.

GNUser wrote:

... recommend partclone ...
... simple and has never let me down ...
... creates a compact image of your partition ...

I think I looked at it but the Timeshift convinced me because of it being automatic and scheduling, etc.
Seems to be much like Norton Ghost-DOS, which I used a lot when I was prisoner of the MS camp.  =-)
It worked great most of the time.

GNUser wrote:

... none of this answers your question, but I thought I'd share ...

On the contrary, thank you very much for taking the time to write and share your opinion/experience.
That's what this is all about, no?

Cheers,

A.

#4 2018-08-27 22:39:09

ChuangTzu

I have yet to find anything better then rsync for backups, you can even use grsync (GUI).

Board footer