The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-31 20:02:27

walterbyrd

Certain websites seem to be blocked

On my desktop, I run calculate-linux. It's a gentoo derivative.

Using that, I have no trouble getting to my website:

https://nuclix.net

No trouble getting there with an iMac, or chromebook either.

On my windows laptop, I could not get to that site, it kept timing out. For me, that was the last straw, I wiped windows and installed miyo linux.

Now miyo linux is doing the same thing.

I get the same thing with firefox, or midori, or the nextcloud client. I have nextcloud on nuclix.net/nextcloud.

The website is on shared hosting, and uses "let's encrypt" for the ssl. Is that the problem? If so, is there any way around it?

Last edited by walterbyrd (2018-07-31 20:06:58)

#2 2018-07-31 20:52:36

sgage

Re: Certain websites seem to be blocked

walterbyrd wrote:

On my desktop, I run calculate-linux. It's a gentoo derivative.

Using that, I have no trouble getting to my website:

https://nuclix.net

No trouble getting there with an iMac, or chromebook either.

On my windows laptop, I could not get to that site, it kept timing out. For me, that was the last straw, I wiped windows and installed miyo linux.

Now miyo linux is doing the same thing.

I get the same thing with firefox, or midori, or the nextcloud client. I have nextcloud on nuclix.net/nextcloud.

The website is on shared hosting, and uses "let's encrypt" for the ssl. Is that the problem? If so, is there any way around it?

I have no trouble going to your site using Devuan Ascii and Firefox. I don't think miyo is really that different, but maybe in attempts at minimalism something got left out? Presumably you have no problem getting to other sites?

Maybe you should try a live session of Devuan Ascii and see how that works...

[Edit: I just checked your site using Windows and Firefox and Chrome with no issues.]

Last edited by sgage (2018-07-31 21:04:26)

#3 2018-07-31 21:37:47

walterbyrd

Thank you for checking.

I will try another distro. Strange problem.

#4 2018-08-01 00:31:17

MiyoLinux

walterbyrd, I'm at a loss regarding all of the issues that you've had. I have various versions of MiyoLinux on 4 computers. I've tried all of them regarding the dconf-CRITICAL error you experienced when opening firefox-esr and midori from the terminal. I don't use Midori, but I installed it to test it. I didn't get the error on either browser on any of my installations.

I tried visiting your website on Firefox-ESR, Firefox Quantum, Midori, Chromium, Surf, and Opera (when available) on all computers, and your site worked flawlessly on each one.

I'm not sure why you're experiencing so many difficulties, but I'm wondering if it's the computer itself...as if the hard drive is going bad perhaps? Wonder if running a fsck would help.

My main computer was my wife's Windows 8 laptop. Windows started going all whack-a-doodle on her, so out of frustration, she finally asked me to put Linux on it. I went through several distros; each of them were having crazy issues, and she would often get the black screen of death. I was having to run fsck on it every day (or every other day if I was lucky) just so she could use the computer. She couldn't take it any longer since her work depends on her computer, so I bought her a new laptop and took this computer over. I bought a new hard drive for it, and it's good as new. big_smile  Some of the things that you've described sound similar to what we were dealing with...

Regardless, I am sorry for your trouble.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-08-01 04:27:53)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#5 2018-08-01 04:30:57

MiyoLinux

Edited my post above after pondering stuff...

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#6 2018-08-02 15:57:08

walterbyrd

The problem seems to have fixed itself somehow.

No idea what happened. I cleared my cache, and restarted, and all that, a few times, but the problem persisted.

Then it just started working.

#7 2018-08-03 22:21:13

walterbyrd

I just discovered something. I cannot run run two instances nextcloud, from separate devices, from my home network. And if I am running nextcloud on one system, I will not be able to load nuclix.net/nextcloud on another; or even load nuclix.net on another system. I hope that is clear.

I think this is what was causing the problem.

It gets stranger.

If I turn off nextcloud, and load nuclix.net, I can load another nuclix.net from another computer.

But if I run nextcloud on one computer, I will not be able to load nuclix.net/nextcloud on another computer, or run nextcloud from another computer.

I suppose this is not related to MIYO. But, when I fix a problem, or discover something like this, I think I should post it.

Last edited by walterbyrd (2018-08-03 22:40:31)

Board footer