The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-07 02:07:29

xunilog

ZephyrLinux re-branded to Crowz

Initially, this post asked about the "disappearance" of ZephyrLinux.
Now that I understand that it has "evolved", I've edited the topic title. Tally ho!

Last edited by xunilog (2017-05-30 07:45:25)

#2 2017-04-07 08:32:38

zephyr
Website

Re: ZephyrLinux re-branded to Crowz

^ My apologies to those who supported and downloaded Zephyr, sadly an issue with trademark concerns by an anonymous entity which will choose not to disclose, Zephyr Linux was a conflict of their project.  Do wish them all the success with their upcoming project.

Zephyr was just a name, and will be replaced soon with everything under the hood and just a matter of re-branding! Coming soon!

Once again thank you for your support and interest!

Recommend Star to those who want a super awesome and fast distribution!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linnix … =directory   

Cheers

Zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2017-04-07 08:34:38)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#3 2017-04-07 10:26:37

Oldmoss

That's a pity, I really like Zephyr, running it in VirtualBox.
Thanks for the time with it and looking forward to when it is back (Phoenix?).

Last edited by Oldmoss (2017-04-07 10:27:32)

#4 2017-04-07 17:26:13

Somewhat Reticent

Nothing anonymous about the Linux Foundation's Zephyr project, though it's not Linux per se.
That said, best wishes for a successful re-branding. (sigh)

#5 2017-04-07 21:21:14

zephyr
Website

^ Thank you to everyone who supported the distro Zephyr, appreciate the concern. Time to move on to a much better effort and  re-branding.

@Oldmoss: Thanks for the suggestion of Phoenix, up from the mythological ashes to be reborn. Like the concept, and will research to see if it possible to use it.

Cheers
Many thanks

Zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#6 2017-04-08 15:08:56

golinux
Administrator

I have sadly removed Zephyr from the derivatives list until it is released under a new name.

#7 2017-04-08 18:20:47

zephyr
Website

@golinux: That new name is coming soon with a release of new distributions!

Cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#8 2017-04-08 20:33:33

xunilog

It's a bump in the road, but the rebranding is probably a Good Thing.

Here's what led to me starting this topic:
Quite a while back I had downloaded zephyr ISO, but already had several others in my distrohopping queue. When I got 'round to booting it, ouch, the default bootline led to smeared/blurry display text. Spoiled from typically finding that most liveboot distros "just work" on my 8yr-old kit, I unsuccessfully grabbed at straws trying to resolve the issue. When I went back to sf.net, it was with the hope of finding a point of contact so that I might file a support request.

Based on my distrohopping experiences, my hardware components seem to be nearly universally well supported, so, in advance of the rebranding, I'll still ask: Compared to Star, Nelum, Refracta et al, what was different about the default zephr config which could introduce graphics-related problems?

#9 2017-04-09 03:37:09

zephyr
Website

@xunilog: Have encountered what you are describing earlier in my distro hopping days going back several years, however attributed it to my graphics card or mobo. Haven't had such an occurrence since a complete machine rebuild and update a couple years back. Scrambled pixels is what I observed and simply didn't further looking at the distro.  The distros were not zephyr or any of which you mentioned above.

This has not occurred at anytime during the testing of my builds, difficult to find answers for something that isn't there for me to witness or remedy. My final build is well tested before uploading, then retested as a download to insure the integrity of the build. More often than not a second set of eyes is used during the final builds, this issue has never been witnessed or addressed.

Not sure if you were using a disk or USB, either way something could have been corrupt not allowing a good graphics rendering. Configs for all distributions vary, certainly pertains to different DE's and Wm's. The base for all Devuan distos should be relatively the same depending on their package list. There was a period where Xorg drivers were still being pulled from Debian, not sure if this could been the issue.

Wish I could help you more, if I run into the your described issue will let you know what I did to fix it.

Cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#10 2017-04-19 10:56:52

zephyr
Website

Hello folks: Back into the game with a new distro name " Crowz". Uploaded Crowz ob with the 1.0 RC release for anyone who is interested.

Made a few changes during the break of re-branding!

Thanks for the support, very excited about the Devuan RC, and just in time to coincide a release with Crowz ob for now. Fluxbox and JWM will be coming soon.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/crowz/

Cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#11 2017-04-19 15:27:19

golinux
Administrator

Welcome back!  When I put it back on the devuan site is it OK to say 'formerly known as Zephyr"?  Or is that a nono? I see you did not do that on your new site.

*edit*  The deed is done.

#12 2017-04-19 17:39:03

FOSSuser

I seem to be the first to download - never had that experience before! big_smile

#13 2017-04-19 20:14:43

greenjeans
Website

Downloading as soon as I get some bandwidth here (slow infrastructure in my area). Looking forward to the promised JWM version as JWM has piqued my interest lately for some reason.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#14 2017-04-19 22:44:27

zephyr
Website

@golinux: You are right and will add that narrative to the Crowz description. There is a README file in which that was included. Adding Crowz as formerly Zephyr should be ok!

Thanks for the support!

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2017-04-19 23:20:48)

CROWZ

#15 2017-04-19 22:49:12

zephyr
Website

@FOSSuser: Always download one to test, but yes you downloaded the first official Crowz distro! That never has happened to me either!

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#16 2017-04-19 23:19:19

zephyr
Website

@greenjeans: Moved from an area that had very poor infrastructure and services, internet provider promised at least 1mb  of download and 500kb upload. That was slow when I was accustomed to 10X of that. Fact was getting only about 128kb upload and 326kb download at it's best. Fillezilla was the answer to that issue, took a while but uploads were always successful.   

Live next to OU now, have incredible fiber optic to the dish and cable to the dust box, very fast and dependable. What took an hour before is less than a minute now!

Will be a few days before the work on fb and jwm is complete. But, STAR has a really awesome jwm! Will probably borrow a few configs from it. Best jwm that I've ever used and really very fond of it myself. Recommend STAR jwm very highly. Here is the link! Yes, it is Devuan! : )

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linnix … =directory

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#17 2017-04-20 05:56:45

xunilog

crowz merits a separate topic now.

@zephyr
a followup to report that the video mode I mentioned earlier was easily resolved by removing the nomodeset lines from the bootline

#18 2017-04-21 17:55:58

MiyoLinux

I see the FluxBox is available now too!

Downloaded the Openbox version, and it's stinkin' awesome! big_smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#19 2017-04-24 11:10:12

zephyr
Website

@greenjeans: Have JWM up if you are still interested in taking a spin!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/crowz/

Downloading your new release of Vuudo! Like the appearance of it! : )
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/linux/vuudo … 2_1909.iso

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2017-04-24 11:17:50)

CROWZ

#20 2017-04-24 11:24:50

zephyr
Website

@MiyoLinux: Thank you for your most welcomed comments regarding Crowz. Openbox. Fluxbox are my tow favorite Wm's. Beginning to really appreciate JWM, a fine Wm. 

Enjoyed installing your builds, have an awesome distro yourself!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/

Thanks

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2017-04-24 11:26:31)

CROWZ

#21 2017-04-24 12:48:10

FOSSuser

No wifi 'out of the box' is a killer for me. sad
(Just checked out Crowz & Star.)

#22 2017-04-24 14:07:00

zephyr
Website

@FOSSuser: Running my box now on wifi, have fb, ob and jwm connected with wifi. Left clicking the connman icon should identify your network and just have to enter pass phrase.

Works quite nicely on my lappie as well.

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#23 2017-04-24 15:49:15

FOSSuser

Just gave it another go, all I get is a box with 'Available Networks' in it, & nothing else. Will try another fresh download.

(First try was with crowz-1.0_RC_ob-x64-2017Apr19.iso )

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-04-24 16:09:26)

#24 2017-04-24 15:59:52

zephyr
Website

@FOSSuser: When you identify your network script, click on it and should then be prompted to enter pass phrase.

CROWZ

#25 2017-04-24 16:08:37

FOSSuser

Just tried crowz-1.0_RC_jwm-x64-2017Apr23.iso & it's still not seeing my wifi. sad

Board footer