The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-12-01 09:52:51

zapper

Re: JWM KIT love fest

JWM-Kit wrote:

@zapper
The code for sndioctl is complete, but no release has been made since the changes were completed.  I guess you knew that though. I'll probably make a new stable release after I make some of the changes needed for 2.4.  Sorry for not rushing out a new release. I understand sndio users see this as an important update, but I must balance my work load and more releases mean more work handling those releases and less time developing of the actual software.

Also zapper, I must apologize for failing to respond to the message you posted on codeberg concerning this. I was not ignoring you. It was just a matter of being involved in too many things at one time.

No worries, I just was waiting for some response, thank you though, I appreciate it. smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#27 2021-12-01 09:58:27

zapper

"As I said around a year ago (?), there is little difference between that project's attitude with regards to trademarks and mozilla's, except mozilla have better people skills.

As I also said around the same time - all browsers are shit, along with the WWW itself.  My philosophy is simple: I pick the best of a bad lot, then configure it to my needs.  what I avoid doing is going "window shopping" for browser forks, where there are all kinds of claims and boasts and it really amounts to little more than customisations you could do yourself and a fancy logo and different name...

At the moment, though chromium is more secure, telemetry/harvesting of data and privacy is a bigger issue there, so I use firefox - even though I dislike many things they have done recently."

I found a new method for web browser stuff for Hyperbola, its called badwolf + hblock!

smile

https://github.com/hectorm/hblock

I modified /etc/hosts and use it to block as many ads as possible...

I disagree on the security of chromium, due to the many leaks, but you are free to believe what you wish...

I should add, you can modify hblock to add or remove filterlists as long as they are in raw format.

Hope this helps someone who wants to escape the bs of modern web browsers.

wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#28 2021-12-02 02:36:34

andyprough

zapper wrote:

I found a new method for web browser stuff for Hyperbola, its called badwolf + hblock!

smile

I should add, you can modify hblock to add or remove filterlists as long as they are in raw format.

wink

Wow, this is fantastic zapper! Takes all the manual labor out of constantly updating those adblock files. Awesome, thanks!

#29 2021-12-02 02:45:08

zapper

andyprough wrote:
zapper wrote:

smile

wink

Wow, this is fantastic zapper! Takes all the manual labor out of constantly updating those adblock files. Awesome, thanks!

I thought so too, it is very useful, isn't it... smile

This is what helped somewhat:

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/hyperbol … ent-163084

It was good advice, because if not for that, I would have never looked for an answer within github, etc...

Peace Be With us All!

#30 2023-02-11 14:19:25

brday

andyprough wrote:

Hey zap, check out my setup today - Hyperbola (testing) with jwm, jwm kit, and I got the latest abrowser from Trisquel running.

I'll look for your email - I think they've been getting sent to the spam folder for some reason. I'll email you my phone number so you can text me.

https://trisquel.info/files/HyperbolaJwmKit5.jpg

Unbelievable, the consumption of the machine with JWM is very low, how can you achieve all that? There is no clear guide showing how to configure and customize the system with the jwm window manager.

#31 2023-02-16 02:24:18

zapper

brday wrote:
andyprough wrote:

Hey zap, check out my setup today - Hyperbola (testing) with jwm, jwm kit, and I got the latest abrowser from Trisquel running.

I'll look for your email - I think they've been getting sent to the spam folder for some reason. I'll email you my phone number so you can text me.

https://trisquel.info/files/HyperbolaJwmKit5.jpg

Unbelievable, the consumption of the machine with JWM is very low, how can you achieve all that? There is no clear guide showing how to configure and customize the system with the jwm window manager.

My only guess is they use primarily C programming.

I had thought it was made in lisp, but not sure now.

Also, I think the dev has more than enough brain cells to know that bloatware is common enough already.

We don't need more. tongue

To be fair, I consider him a genius more than all the other wm or de creators.

CDE I might consider as a desktop environment in future or  continuing using JWM instead as I do already.

smile

Peace Be With us All!

#32 2023-04-09 23:42:34

brday

zapper wrote:
brday wrote:
zapper wrote:

As I have said before, I myself prefer JWM.

The JWM  for 64 bits ? Can you post here a screenshot that displays in the terminal data and consumption of the machine with the command neofetch ? It would be nice if you could leave the link of  jwm kit to test with devuan.

I could post a screenshot, but I would have to reboot to get a good idea of how much is actually consumed.  then go into a terminal and type in free -m

I am using 64 bit, so no worries there.

https://codeberg.org/jwmkit

I recommend checking the consumption for yourself though, RAM is used more on machines with more RAM.

So what I mean I guess is, I have 16GB RAM on this laptop. Well on my comp with 8GB it uses less of the RAM.

Andyprough can correct me if he wants, but I think he said it used like somewhere from 60-70 megabytes to use it, even with jwmkit.

Or maybe jwmkit said that? anywho, it uses less the dwm according to Andyprough for sure. I recall he said that on a forum. wink

On boot though, it uses less than 70mb for me though for my 16GB T430 with coreboot + me cleaner.

I can reboot to check if you are interested. I will do so now...

Interesting... It seems on one of my laptops its like 110mb total usage including jwm being used. That one has Hyperbola though, 16gb or not. I will try my devuan one and see what that shows.

Here is a picture of it, https://upload.disroot.org/r/KhKbZ0Vd#3 … I4v3+DbPs=

just download it to see it.

Btw, I looked and Hyperbola uses 89mb without any wm/DE.

so that means... 21mb for jwm? insane... it has 16gb of ram so I didn't expect this lol.

I will check devuan now.

Fascinating... it uses 141mb on Devuan ceres...
https://upload.disroot.org/r/t6xNspMs#U … 2o+y6X8Ic=

Without a wm it uses close to that number.  Anywho, those links seem to indicate to me, that JWM is ultra lightweight. Anywho, that's all folks! smile

Except I should mention I am using 5.15.xx linux-libre kernel on the devuan laptop and 5.10.xx on the hyperbola one.

wink  just a heads up! smile

Hello zapper

I have tried to install your JWM Kit Linux package but it did not transform the window manager appearance, I don't know how you do it, I like JWM, but I don't know how to configure and customized it in Hyperbola Linux, can you tell me where I am failing?  I installed it with this command:

$ doas pacman -S binutils make gcc pkg-config fakeroot

#33 2023-04-10 18:46:18

JWM-Kit
Website

@brday

I know the question was target at zapper, but allow me to answer as  I am the author of JWMKit.

Once you've installed JWMKit you need to run jwmkit_first_run.  This will allow you to create a default configuration and also configure how the logout and time tool request permission.  I recommend using the "Default" option for the JWM config and then you can use the various apps to customize it as needed.

JWMKit Wiki - First Run

You can get the newest package/build scripts here. For Hyperbola look under the BUILD directory for Hyperbola.  The readme provides build Instructions (to create a package to be installed) or just scroll down and they are underneath the downloads.

Best of luck!

EDIT : JWMKit is provided in the Hyperbola repository.  I only pointed out my sourceforge page in case you were interested in the newest version.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-04-10 18:49:00)

#34 2023-04-11 16:03:53

brday

JWM-Kit wrote:

@brday

I know the question was target at zapper, but allow me to answer as  I am the author of JWMKit.

Once you've installed JWMKit you need to run jwmkit_first_run.  This will allow you to create a default configuration and also configure how the logout and time tool request permission.  I recommend using the "Default" option for the JWM config and then you can use the various apps to customize it as needed.

JWMKit Wiki - First Run

You can get the newest package/build scripts here. For Hyperbola look under the BUILD directory for Hyperbola.  The readme provides build Instructions (to create a package to be installed) or just scroll down and they are underneath the downloads.

Best of luck!

EDIT : JWMKit is provided in the Hyperbola repository.  I only pointed out my sourceforge page in case you were interested in the newest version.

Hello JWM-kit

I don't know what I am doing wrong, please correct me, there are two packages, one is JWM_Kit-20220826.tar.gz    and the other  all_themes.zip.   This is the way I have proceeded.

[user@localhost~$ cd Downloads

[user@localhost Downloads]$ ls
all_themes.zip  jwm_kit  JWM_Kit-20220826.tar.gz  JWM_Kit-20220826.zip

[user@localhost Downloads]$ cd jwm_kit

[user@localhost jwm_kit]$ ls
BASH  BUILD  doc  freedesktop  icons  man1  PYTHON  README.md

[user@localhost jwm_kit]$ doas pacman -S binutils make gcc pkg-config fakeroot

doas (user@localhost) password: 
warning: binutils-2.34-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: make-4.3-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: gcc-8.4.0-5 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: pkg-config-0.29.2-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: fakeroot-1.24-5 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (5) binutils-2.34-2  fakeroot-1.24-5  gcc-8.4.0-5  make-4.3-3
             pkg-config-0.29.2-2

Total Installed Size:  868.37 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(5/5) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(5/5) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(5/5) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(5/5) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(5/5) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ms/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/rw/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/rw/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/rw/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/rw/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/gprof.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/bfd.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/gas.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/gold.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/opcodes.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/binutils.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/ld.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/be/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/be/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/be/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/cpplib.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/de/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/de/man1/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/de/man1/faked.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/de/man1/fakeroot.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/es/man1/faked.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/es/man1/fakeroot.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/fr/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/fr/man1/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/fr/man1/faked.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/fr/man1/fakeroot.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/nl/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/nl/man1/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/nl/man1/faked.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/nl/man1/fakeroot.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/pt/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/pt/man1/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/pt/man1/faked.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/pt/man1/fakeroot.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/sv/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/sv/man1/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/sv/man1/faked.1.gz
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/man/sv/man1/fakeroot.1.gz
:: Processing package changes...
(1/5) reinstalling binutils                        [######################] 100%
(2/5) reinstalling make                            [######################] 100%
(3/5) reinstalling gcc                             [######################] 100%
(4/5) reinstalling pkg-config                      [######################] 100%
(5/5) reinstalling fakeroot                        [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Updating the info directory file...
[user@localhost jwm_kit]$ 

This command jwmkit_first_run does not execute neither as user nor as superuser, I don't know how you do it, here I put the output of this command:

[user@localhost jwm_kit]$ jwmkit_first_run
bash: jwmkit_first_run: command not found

[user@localhost jwm_kit]$ doas jwmkit_first_run
doas (user@localhost) password: 
doas: jwmkit_first_run: command not found

The JWMKit repository is not on the Hyperbola 64-bit system version 0.4.2.  As I have followed previous guides for installation, many things have changed in Hyperbola that is changing from the same basis to BSD, which is no longer present repositories for ARCH and D-Bus packages as many related to the automount of external devices or applications essential  for day to day use, call whatsapp, telegram, others as network manager.

Last edited by brday (2023-04-11 16:08:13)

#35 2023-04-11 17:02:03

JWM-Kit
Website

brday

It seems I may of jumped ahead a step.  I didn't realize you had not even installed JWMKit yet. Although keep in mine that running  the First Run tool is a required step when we get there.  I am assuming you already have a working jwm system with xenocara and jwm installed? If not than you need more than just help with jwmkit.

I await for input from @zapper here for verification, but I believe Hyperbola 4.2 is still part of the "Milky Way" branch and is still Linux (arch) based.  It should continue to operate as the other Milky Way 4.x releases.  Which means JWMKit is in the repository and you can also use the build scripts provided at my sourceforge site.  @zapper, please confirm.

You should be able to install jwmkit from the package manager with this simple command. This is not the most current version, but it will work.

pacman -Syu jwmkit

EDIT : The command above requires you to be root, or use doas/sudo/etc.

Once you have installed it you can run the jwmkit_first_run and select the default configuration and configure app permissions.

If you want the most current version visit this sourceforge page for the build script and instructions.  As mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-04-11 19:32:00)

#36 2023-04-11 21:47:57

brday

JWM-Kit wrote:

brday

It seems I may of jumped ahead a step.  I didn't realize you had not even installed JWMKit yet. Although keep in mine that running  the First Run tool is a required step when we get there.  I am assuming you already have a working jwm system with xenocara and jwm installed? If not than you need more than just help with jwmkit.

I await for input from @zapper here for verification, but I believe Hyperbola 4.2 is still part of the "Milky Way" branch and is still Linux (arch) based.  It should continue to operate as the other Milky Way 4.x releases.  Which means JWMKit is in the repository and you can also use the build scripts provided at my sourceforge site.  @zapper, please confirm.

You should be able to install jwmkit from the package manager with this simple command. This is not the most current version, but it will work.

pacman -Syu jwmkit

EDIT : The command above requires you to be root, or use doas/sudo/etc.

Once you have installed it you can run the jwmkit_first_run and select the default configuration and configure app permissions.

If you want the most current version visit this sourceforge page for the build script and instructions.  As mentioned in my previous post.

How good looks the customization and configuration of  JWM Kit,I apologize for saying that the repository of JWM Kit was not in Hiperbola is version 0.4.2, the truth I have been blushing. I do not know how I have done before trying o install JWM Kit but did not give result, now JWM Kit has me happy, I copied and pasted the package installation command without reading the part below that has been to make as superuser, and was installed very well and then I did the steps to save by default.

I'm trying to configure the effects to make the directories and folders look dark, so my eyes don't get screwed up. I don't know how to do it from the configuration, but from the brief look of the JWM Kit appearance  I only see dark color for the window borders.

Your JWM Kit package looks great, one question, is it possible to do some additional configuration outside the JWM Kit package like putting a dark theme or adding some command or comment in the original jwm file?

Ah I was forgetting, not installed the package of the JWM Kit themes, how would be to proceed or commands to execute?  Greetings.

Last edited by brday (2023-04-11 21:55:25)

#37 2023-04-11 22:20:07

JWM-Kit
Website

I'm glad your'e making progress.

JWMKit provides several tools for customizing JWM.  You can add and remove trays and menus and you can add and remove items from trays and menus.  I have tried to make it very complete tool set that provides way more options than I can cover here.   I strongly encourage you to check out this wiki.

Place your themes in $HOME/.config/jwm/themes/

If you have the all_themes.zip just unzip it to that directory.  You can now start jwmkit_appearance and choose a theme.  Or edit a theme and save the changes as a new theme.  Or create your own.

On another note, the JWM themes and other JWM customization will not affect the internal parts of the windows.  The inner parts of the window are not handled by jwm, but by GTK, or Qt, etc.  If you need the to customize the inner part of the windows you must set the GTK theme.   You can learn to do this manually or use a simple theme switcher.  I recommend lxappearance as it is in the Hyperbola repository.  You will also need to install some GTK themes.

Also you can run the first run tool again if you need to configure permissions.  These are used by jwmkit_time and jwmkit_logout.  If you do not use these apps or they defaults work for you then no need to mess with it.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-04-11 22:20:26)

#38 2023-04-14 16:41:26

zapper

@brday Sorry, I wasn't available prior, my bad.

Seems jwmkit answered your question?

@jwmkit Thank you for doing so.

@both Sometimes I don't remember or have time at the moment... wink

Peace Be With us All!

#39 2023-04-16 23:25:58

brday

JWM-Kit wrote:

I'm glad your'e making progress.

Place your themes in $HOME/.config/jwm/themes/

If you have the all_themes.zip just unzip it to that directory.  You can now start jwmkit_appearance and choose a theme.  Or edit a theme and save the changes as a new theme.  Or create your own.

Hi my friend JWM-Kit, I am happy with the installed repository JWM kit, although you said it is old. I have read enough of the wiky, I have put the themes in that directory you told me, however, the effect it does is to change the borders of the windows and nothing else.

On another note, the JWM themes and other JWM customization will not affect the internal parts of the windows.  The inner parts of the window are not handled by jwm, but by GTK, or Qt, etc.  If you need the to customize the inner part of the windows you must set the GTK theme.   You can learn to do this manually or use a simple theme switcher.  I recommend lxappearance as it is in the Hyperbola repository.  You will also need to install some GTK themes.

Regarding lxappearance, yes, I have had to install theme-styles and also theme-icons, that's where the system kicked in, being able to choose the style-theme  and the icon-hteme to taste and not fuck my eyes haha, of course dark theme with the help of lxappearance.

Also you can run the first run tool again if you need to configure permissions.  These are used by jwmkit_time and jwmkit_logout.  If you do not use these apps or they defaults work for you then no need to mess with it.

Regarding the JWM Kit configuration, with the command jwmkit_first_run, I set it to default, and in JWM Kit Logout permissions, I set it to elogind (loginctl), and JWM Kit time, I set it to sudo | Built in Prompt.

Will it be ok?

Because the window manager does not display the 24 hours? I have tried to change from the application menu (jwm kits configuration) it configures it but it does not change the time, for example 14 50, it displays 2:50, so, I do not know where I am doing wrong.

Another thing, how to add application launcher in the jwm taskbar? For example, I would like to add on the left side the battery icon, the audio volume icon, the network icon, on the right side, I would like to add, the iceweacel browser icon, the sakura terminal icon, the user folder icon.
What version of Hyperbola are you using?  Because in Hyperbola 0.4.2 many things have changed, you can no longer add the ARCH repository at the start of the system installation, I would like some application to display system information as neofetch or screenhoster did but no longer exists, and so other packages of external device automounting as gvfs or networkmanager that does not exist.   

Greetings

#40 2023-04-17 14:39:53

JWM-Kit
Website

brday wrote:

. . . I have put the themes in that directory you told me, however, the effect it does is to change the borders of the windows and nothing else.

The JWM Themes should affect the trays, and the window's borders and titlebar.

What are you missing by using the slightly older version of JWMKit.  Not much.  But the new version replaces jwmkit_wallpaper with jwmkit_desktops which gives you additional control such as . . .
the number of virtual desktops
the behavior of windows and desktop
different wallpaper for each virtual desktop
limited support for ROX, SpaceFM, zzzFM, and PCmanFM Desktops
and with newer versions of jwm you can rearrange the buttons in the title bar

brday wrote:

Regarding lxappearance, yes, I have had to install theme-styles and also theme-icons, that's where the system kicked in, being able to choose the style-theme  and the icon-hteme to taste and not fuck my eyes haha, of course dark theme with the help of lxappearance.

Sounds good.

brday wrote:

Regarding the JWM Kit configuration, with the command jwmkit_first_run, I set it to default, and in JWM Kit Logout permissions, I set it to elogind (loginctl), and JWM Kit time, I set it to sudo | Built in Prompt.

Will it be ok?

Short answer:  No. Hyperbola does not provides elogind or sudo. So you much find a solution supported by Hyperbola.  Most likely doas.

My experience with Hyperbola is limited.   I do not use it. @zapper is more experienced with it.  As a supporter and user he would know for sure.  I do know that the whole reason I added the doas option was for Hyperbola thanks to information provided by zapper.

INFO :   Configuring permission only only affects jwmkit_logout and jwmkit_time. The remaining JWMKit tools are unaffected by this setting.

brday wrote:

Because the window manager does not display the 24 hours? I have tried to change from the application menu (jwm kits configuration) it configures it but it does not change the time, for example 14 50, it displays 2:50, so, I do not know where I am doing wrong.

The clock that shows in the tray is configured using jwmkit_trays. Open jwmkit_trays, click on items, find the clock and double click on it to configure it.  Once configured hit apply. then hit save when it returns to the main window.

FYI : jwmkit_time only set the system time and date.  It does not configure how it is displayed. 

brday wrote:

Another thing, how to add application launcher in the jwm taskbar? . . .

You will also find this in jwmkit_trays.  Click items then the add button (+) and choose TrayButton.  A window will pop up to allow you to configure the traybutton. Set an icon and configure the action you wish for each mouse button when you clicked on the icon.  Either manually fill in the entries or use the provided file manager and action selector. 

brday wrote:

What version of Hyperbola are you using?  Because in Hyperbola 0.4.2 many things have changed, you can no longer add the ARCH repository at the start of the system installation, I would like some application to display system information as neofetch or screenhoster did but no longer exists, and so other packages of external device automounting as gvfs or networkmanager that does not exist.   

Greetings

I wish I could recommend the packages you need, but I don’t use Hyperbola enough to be familiar with it’s software selection. I do have it installed in a virtual machine.  It has been fully updated so should be in align with the current release.  The only repository I’ve used with it is the default one that is arch based.

#41 2023-04-17 21:36:46

brday

JWM-Kit wrote:

......but I don’t use Hyperbola enough to be familiar with it’s software selection.

What system do you use with JWM Kit?  Very good your answers. By the way, from the graphical window of JWM Kit, in Logout user to exit or shutdown the system, why it does not take effect when you click Shutdown or Reboot?  It only takes effect in the Logout tab, which exits the window to the terminal.

To shutdown or reboot the system, I need to type commands in the terminal like doas halt or doas poweroff or doas reboot. big_smile

#42 2023-04-17 22:49:50

JWM-Kit
Website

brday wrote:

What system do you use with JWM Kit?  Very good your answers.

Usually a Devuan or Debian based system.

brday wrote:

By the way, from the graphical window of JWM Kit, in Logout user to exit or shutdown the system, why it does not take effect when you click Shutdown or Reboot?  It only takes effect in the Logout tab, which exits the window to the terminal.

To shutdown or reboot the system, I need to type commands in the terminal like doas halt or doas poweroff or doas reboot. big_smile

The shutdown and reboot buttons will not work until you have configured the permission for JWM Kit Logout with jwmkit_first_run.

Once again I am not that familiar with Hyperbola but after some though I believe your best option are one of the following.
1 - doas (not password)  This is the most eloquent option but you will need to configure the doas.conf file to not ask for a password for shutdown/reboot.  I believe this is how zapper has configured his system.
2.  Terminal.  In the terminal entry put the command to start the terminal (example: xterm) and for command simply put doas  This will work, but is not as elequent as the first step.  This option should also work for JWM Kit Time.

#43 2023-04-18 13:51:31

brday

Hello JWM-Kit, very good what you say, I have been observing, when I change the time format to 24 hours, it is delaying the time, or the time remains paralyzed, of course through jwmkit_trays. On the other hand, for those who use the doas or sudo dependency for superuser, in this case as I am testing Hyperbola with doas, I have put in the JWM Kit configuration with the command jwmkit_first_run , in the JWM Kit Logout tab ==>> doas (no password), and for the JWM Kit Time tab==>>Do not ask permission, before that you must have configured the file /ect/doas.conf and uncomment ==>>> permit nopass :whell

In this way it made effect on the output graphic part on the buttons for reboot, shutdown.

Usually a Devuan or Debian based system.

Tell us how JWM Kit work on those systems you commonly use? The JWM Kit package is in the devuan, debian, ubuntu, artix, freebsd repositories? Is it the same process of installing the tarball package with the command I posted at the beginning of the conversation and it didn't work? I want to try it also on those systems mentioned.  smile

Last edited by brday (2023-04-18 13:52:14)

#44 2023-04-18 14:21:48

JWM-Kit
Website

brday wrote:

. . .when I change the time format to 24 hours, it is delaying the time, or the time remains paralyzed, of course through jwmkit_trays.

I've never seen this before.  Does restarting jwm or signing out and back in seems to fix it?

brday wrote:

On the other hand, for those who use the doas or sudo dependency for superuser, in this case as I am testing Hyperbola with doas, I have put in the JWM Kit configuration with the command jwmkit_first_run , in the JWM Kit Logout tab ==>> doas (no password), and for the JWM Kit Time tab==>>Do not ask permission, before that you must have configured the file /ect/doas.conf and uncomment ==>>> permit nopass :whell

In this way it made effect on the output graphic part on the buttons for reboot, shutdown.

I'm glad you got it working.

brday wrote:

Tell us how JWM Kit work on those systems you commonly use? The JWM Kit package is in the devuan, debian, ubuntu, artix, freebsd repositories? Is it the same process of installing the tarball package with the command I posted at the beginning of the conversation and it didn't work? I want to try it also on those systems mentioned.  smile

JWMKit works flawless for me, but I don't know if that is a fair evaluation.  As the author, my understand of the software give me an advantage the regular user does not have.

For permission I usually configure it to use sudo with either the built in prompt or a gksu/gksudo type prompt.

JWMKit is not in the Debian/Devuan repositories, and I doubt it is in Ubuntu.  I provide a .deb package on my sourceforge page.  It's easy to install and will provide the most current version.

download debian package
* Scroll down on the page for install instructions if you need them.
* This link has the most current and the previous version. Look at the date and get the most recent date.

artix?  The arch distro.  Use the BUILD file on my sourceforge page.
Arch BUILD
* Scroll down on the page for build instructions if you need them.

As for antix.  The Debian based distro. You will find JWMKit in the antix repository.  If you need a newer version use the same deb package above for Debian.

As for freebsd I don't know if it's in the repository. Sorry, but  do not provide packages or build scripts for any bsd.  It's on my todo list.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-04-18 19:32:48)

#45 2023-04-18 17:52:31

brday

JWM-Kit wrote:

I've never seen this before.  Does restarting jwm or signing out and back in seems to fix it?

Yes, I did all that, including resetting to factory default as indicated by the jwmkit_first_run command at the bottom of the JWM Kit menu, haha I have left it back to the 12 hour format and not 24 hours.

artix?

Yes, artix, the arch without systemd is called artix, artix takes the INIT in OpenRC,   artix also say that it is phenomenal. smile

#46 2023-04-20 16:23:32

JWM-Kit
Website

I've done a little bit of testing with JWMKit in Daedalus.  I can report that JWMKit works perfectly.  But I'm sure the big question many may have is "What about memory usage?"  Which is a subject that's already been discussed on these forums.  If any of you have tried Daedalus you have noticed it does seem to use a bit more memory, but I have concluded this is not really a problem. Allow me to explain.

I have configured a Chimaera, and Daedalus virtual machine.  For a fair comparison I've tried to make the systems (installed software, running services, etc) as similar as possible.

Ram usage when the VMs are configured with 4 GB of RAM

Chimaera = 76 mb
Daedalus = 116 mb

Some would argue that both use a small amount of RAM, but when you look at the difference of the 2 it's really not acceptable. Percentage wise Chimaera's usage is only 65% of Daedalus' usage.  That’s a big difference.

But we know that when a system has more RAM it will use it to optimize performance.  Maybe this is what's going on? Maybe Daedalus make use of more RAM for such optimization?

So by configuring the VMs to only 192mb we see that memory usage becomes a lot closer.

Chimaera = 68 mb
Daedalus = 70.2 mb

These results are very close.  This behavior leads me to believe the difference we see is because of optimizations, not waste of resources.
Not a very scientific test, but just my observations.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-04-20 16:25:27)

#47 2023-04-25 17:06:41

brday

JWM-Kit wrote:

I've done a little bit of testing with JWMKit in Daedalus.

What is Daedalus?

#48 2023-04-25 17:59:24

golinux
Administrator

The Devuan release following Chimaera. Have a look at:

https://www.devuan.org/os/releases

#49 2023-04-25 18:09:47

brday

golinux wrote:

The Devuan release following Chimaera. Have a look at:

https://www.devuan.org/os/releases

Is there a way to put with the latest repositories and not the quarterly ones? If so, how should I proceed?

Greetings

#50 2023-04-25 18:20:02

golinux
Administrator

@brday . . . I don't understand your question. AFAIK weekly builds of the daedalus (testing) installer-iso are updated every Monday and available for download on our mirrors.

Board footer