The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-24 06:45:20

randomer

2 minor issues after upgrading to Beowulf from ASCII netinstall

I've installed Devuan ASCII (without a desktop) with the devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_netinst.iso, upgraded successfully to Beowulf and installed the XFCE Desktop afterwards (apt install task-xfce-desktop). Everything seems to work as far as I can tell, except for two minor issues I ran into.

1. Changing the sensitivity or acceleration of my trackpoint via slider in the "Buttons and Feedback" tab of the "Mouse and Touchpad" settings has no effect.

2. There seems to be an issue with gvfs.
9bc9421323741110.jpg

#2 2019-10-24 09:49:20

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: 2 minor issues after upgrading to Beowulf from ASCII netinstall

What happens if you try to install gvfs?

On my system it fails because gvfs needs udisks2 and the version of udisks2 in beowulf conflicts with gparted. The update of udisks2 in beowulf/ceres is in progress.

#3 2019-10-24 10:46:02

randomer

fsmithred wrote:

What happens if you try to install gvfs?

On my system it fails because gvfs needs udisks2 and the version of udisks2 in beowulf conflicts with gparted. The update of udisks2 in beowulf/ceres is in progress.

Both gvfs and udisks2 are already installed. Do you mean re-install?

The gvfs issue isn't the cause for the sensitivity settings not being functional, is it?

#4 2019-10-24 12:23:37

fsmithred
Administrator

I did mean install and not re-install. The message says that gvfs is not installed. Are you able to mount/unmount removable media? What's in the "Read more" section?

What is the output of dpkg -l | grep gvfs

I don't think it has anything to do with the mouse acceleration.

#5 2019-10-24 12:34:03

randomer

Mounting and unmounting devices seems to work just fine in terminal and even in Thunar. Guess I can just ignore the missing dependencies warning?

ii  gvfs:amd64                                                  1.38.1-5                            amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - GIO module
ii  gvfs-common                                                 1.38.1-5                            all          userspace virtual filesystem - common data files
ii  gvfs-daemons                                                1.38.1-5                            amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - servers
ii  gvfs-libs:amd64                                             1.38.1-5                            amd64        userspace virtual filesystem - private libraries

#6 2019-10-24 15:49:43

fsmithred
Administrator

Maybe installing gvfs-backends would make the warning go away. I'm not sure what functions it would provide - maybe mounting remote filesystems. If the system is doing what you want it to do, then you can ignore the warning.

I don't know what to do about the mouse acceleration. I'm seeing the same thing, and I thought it was because I'm running beowulf in a VM. Apparently, it's a known issue. I tried a couple of the fixes and got no change in behavior. Maybe it works better on a hardware install.
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11518
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1758023

#7 2019-10-24 16:44:11

randomer

I'll ignore the warning for now, since mounting/unmounting is not affected.

The whole mouse sensitivity/non-functional slider thing is weird. It is kinda the other way around for me, sensitivity is super fast and settings are non-functional on actual hardware, but when I was testing Beowulf in a VM the sensitivity felt completely normal. I will set the sens. manually and report back here if I can get the mouse settings in XFCE to work.

Board footer