The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#101 2017-08-27 01:51:16

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

darry1966 wrote:

Congrats Miyo,

Perseverance gets you there, and you persevered - nice work.:)

Thank you darry1966.

fungus wrote:

Not the final version, I am sure you will find more things to tweek.
Congratulations as well.
Did you (miyo and all miyo users) by any chance see this comment?
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4733#p4733
I hit two cops with one stone (I'd never hit a bird).

Thanks fungus.

No sir, I had missed that post.  Thanks for working with that.  smile  Now we  have two ways to fix it... big_smile

As I mentioned a few weeks ago when the conky subject was brought up...I don't use a conky, so I'd never noticed the issue. What I found was that if I changed the "own_window_type" from normal to override, it would allow me to click on the conky and get the menu. I meant to post about it, but it slipped my mind.

I had never noticed the Minimize Windows issue either...again, I never use Minimize Windows. LOL! I just went all crazy-n-such and tried the conky again, and it doesn't disappear  when using Minimize Windows with the override setting.

Boy...I'm living on the edge tonight...turned on my conky and used Minimize Windows! I'm a wild man! tongue


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#102 2017-08-29 02:46:57

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

MiyoLinux wrote:
darry1966 wrote:

Congrats Miyo,

Perseverance gets you there, and you persevered - nice work.:)

Thank you darry1966.

fungus wrote:

Not the final version, I am sure you will find more things to tweek.
Congratulations as well.
Did you (miyo and all miyo users) by any chance see this comment?
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4733#p4733
I hit two cops with one stone (I'd never hit a bird).

Thanks fungus.

No sir, I had missed that post.  Thanks for working with that.  smile  Now we  have two ways to fix it... big_smile

As I mentioned a few weeks ago when the conky subject was brought up...I don't use a conky, so I'd never noticed the issue. What I found was that if I changed the "own_window_type" from normal to override, it would allow me to click on the conky and get the menu. I meant to post about it, but it slipped my mind.

I had never noticed the Minimize Windows issue either...again, I never use Minimize Windows. LOL! I just went all crazy-n-such and tried the conky again, and it doesn't disappear  when using Minimize Windows with the override setting.

Boy...I'm living on the edge tonight...turned on my conky and used Minimize Windows! I'm a wild man! tongue

All machines aren't created equal...apparently. The "override" setting works perfectly on my old HP dx5150...doesn't work worth a flip on my Toshiba laptop. tongue


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#103 2017-08-29 19:52:02

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

You should consider adding the sha256 files to the isos so we can easily check whether it was a good download or one that did not complete.  I have downloaded the same thing about 3 times as while it is downloading I forget while I am working on .conf files and reboot without checking if it was complete.  Somehow the downloaded size and the one listed on sourceforge don't seem to match.  Maybe it is an MB and Mib thing.

Offline

#104 2017-08-29 20:16:28

Somewhat Reticent
Member
Registered: 2017-04-06
Posts: 102  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

fungus wrote:

You should consider adding the sha256 files to the isos …

Why not just use the md5 and/or sha1 provided by the info ( i ) link SourceForge displays to the right of each file?
(Several downloads I tried came short - could've been slow mirror propagation - eventually worked)

Offline

#105 2017-08-29 20:19:46

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 912  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Use wget to download the iso. You'll need to remove the /download from the end of the file's url. If you get disconnected before the download is finished, run 'wget -c <url>' and the download will pick up where it left off.

sha256sum files would be helpful.

(Also a good idea for miyo to check the sha256sums on sf after uploading the files. Need to log in through ssh to do that.)

Offline

#106 2017-08-29 22:42:42

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Somewhat Reticent wrote:
fungus wrote:

You should consider adding the sha256 files to the isos …

Why not just use the md5 and/or sha1 provided by the info ( i ) link SourceForge displays to the right of each file?
(Several downloads I tried came short - could've been slow mirror propagation - eventually worked)

Okay. It's done...a file with sha-sums is now available. As Somewhat Reticent said, I assumed people would use the i option for the md5 and/or sha1; however, I can see the benefit of providing the sha256. That's what I get for assuming. tongue

fsmithred wrote:

Also a good idea for miyo to check the sha256sums on sf after uploading the files. Need to log in through ssh to do that.

Yes sir; I always check to make sure they match. wink

In regard to the apparent discrepancy in file size. I've always noticed that with any .iso that I've downloaded. Perhaps a visual will help?

Picture 1 - I'm choosing the Miyo-XTRA-64bit .iso to download. I've highlighted the .iso size. It says that the file is 526.4 MB. Click all pictures to enlarge them...or right-click them to open in a new tab for easy returns to this page.

1.png?1504044797

Picture 2 - I have clicked it to download the .iso, and I'm now at the page where I'm asked what to do with the file. I've highlighted the size, and note that the size is smaller than the previous number...502 MB

2_1.png?1504044746

Picture 3 - The .iso has been downloaded. I open the file manager, right-click the .iso, and choose Properties. Again, I've highlighted the size of the .iso, and now both numbers from the two previous pictures are showing...502.0 MB and I will give the rounded number of 526.4 bytes.

3_1.png?1504044658


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#107 2017-08-30 07:46:19

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Holly devuan, that 32b miyo took a long while to upgrade to ascii, all because I avoided dist-upgrade to see where I end up.  With every boot there would be more to be upgraded.

Anyone has a clue  on vdev on experimental?

Offline

#108 2017-08-30 20:45:17

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 424  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

MiyoLinux wrote:

All machines aren't created equal...apparently. The "override" setting works perfectly on my old HP dx5150...doesn't work worth a flip on my Toshiba laptop. tongue

That's what i'm finding out, it's not only different desktop environments that require some different settings in conky, the hardware itself can flip the whole script so to speak.

Once it's tweaked though it works great.


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#109 2017-08-31 09:06:23

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

After some upgrade on Miyo 32bit --> ascii obmenu-generator was gone.  With only apt upgrade and manual installation of the kernels it was fine.  The moment I tried dist-upgrade it found unused lib files and removed them.
Even though all listed dependencies are there removal and reinstallation produces consistently the same error:

Can't locate Linux/DesktopFiles.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Linux::DesktopFiles module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.24.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.24 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.24 /usr/share/perl/5.24 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/bin/obmenu-generator line 34.

I also noticed that the lsb desktop pkg in ascii is not installable, for some reason.  I think it is a work in progress

Offline

#110 2017-08-31 11:49:14

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

fungus wrote:

After some upgrade on Miyo 32bit --> ascii obmenu-generator was gone.  With only apt upgrade and manual installation of the kernels it was fine.  The moment I tried dist-upgrade it found unused lib files and removed them.
Even though all listed dependencies are there removal and reinstallation produces consistently the same error:

Can't locate Linux/DesktopFiles.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Linux::DesktopFiles module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.24.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.24 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.24 /usr/share/perl/5.24 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/bin/obmenu-generator line 34.

I also noticed that the lsb desktop pkg in ascii is not installable, for some reason.  I think it is a work in progress

If it's the 2017 MiyoLinux, I included the obmenu-generator .deb package in the Templates folder...just in case anyone wanted to upgrade to ascii. wink

Instructions are included. However, if things have possibly changed, in addition to the included instructions, after saving copies of the config.pl and schema.pl files...you might have to delete the obmenu-generator folder in

~/.config

and the obmenu-generator file in

/usr/bin

...then reinstall the obmenu-generator .deb...then put the config.pl and schema.pl files back in the newly generated obmenu-generator folder in ~/config

...then open your terminal, and enter...

obmenu-generator -p -i

Edited to add: I'll install a 2017 Miyo and upgrade it to ascii to see how it goes. If the instructions for regaining the menu have changed, I'll post it in the Wiki on Sourceforge.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-31 12:12:15)


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#111 2017-08-31 14:04:23

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

MiyoLinux wrote:

Edited to add: I'll install a 2017 Miyo and upgrade it to ascii to see how it goes. If the instructions for regaining the menu have changed, I'll post it in the Wiki on Sourceforge.

Well that was an adventure...and then some...and then some more...

Yes, users will now need to remove the obmenu-generator folder in ~/.config and the obmenu-generator file in /usr/bin. After all was said and done, I ended up with the blinking cursor of death after rebooting.

If anyone upgrades to ascii, please make sure that you want to do so and that you are able to fix problems that may arise.

Still, I will add the new instructions for fixing the menu after an upgrade to ascii to the "Menu Fix" thread here on the forum, and I'll add it to the Wiki on Sourceforge.


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#112 2017-10-19 02:36:48

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I probably shouldn't post this...as they say...don't count your eggs before they hatch. However, I've been working on a Miyo-Ascii version. Looks like things are looking up? I was able to actually connect to the internet on a live version (on a test computer) that has refused all of my previous attempts. big_smile I'm writing this from that live session on that computer. smile

If all goes well, this won't be the normal Miyo...no Obmenu-Generator menu on this, but it will be somewhat similar to Miyo-XTRA. wink  I just hope I haven't spoken too soon. I'm just too stinkin' excited that it's actually working. LOLOLOL!!!

2017-10-19-022139-1920x1080-scrot_1.png?1508379902


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#113 2017-10-24 04:25:06

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Miyo-XTRA-Ascii...it's almost heeeeeeeeerrrrrrreeee. LOL! I'm stinkin' excited. LOLOLOL!


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#114 2017-10-24 08:41:57

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I've had 2 of these for months, 1 is 32b the other 64b
The third is vuu-do64ascii

Offline

#115 2017-10-24 12:09:53

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

fungus wrote:

I've had 2 of these for months, 1 is 32b the other 64b
The third is vuu-do64ascii

Oh.
















big_smile


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#116 2017-10-24 13:12:24

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I'm waiting on the release notes so I can apply them tongue

Offline

#117 2017-10-25 03:19:31

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

fungus wrote:

I'm waiting on the release notes so I can apply them tongue

They won't all apply! LOL!

Okay...I hope to have them uploaded by tomorrow afternoon IF all goes well. The internet here hasn't been very cooperative lately.

As I stated earlier, these are based on Ascii. I also based them on Miyo-XTRA, because those versions have gotten the most total downloads of this year's releases.

What's different? The menu, I switched from Wicd to Connman, and just a few other odds-n-ends.

The menu. Though I love Obmenu-Generator, I wanted to keep this pure Devuan as much as possible to hopefully mitigate any problems in future updates/upgrades/dist-upgrades. So, while Obmenu-Generator isn't included, the menu is still dynamic...sort of. big_smile

I linked the xfce applications menu into the openbox menu, so the "Applications" section is dynamic and will add (or remove) applications automatically. The rest of the menu is static. The "Applications" also have icons; however, the rest of the menu doesn't. I struggled with whether to code in icons for the rest of the menu, but after mulling it over, I didn't want to force icons on someone when they may not be to their taste. When I have time, I'm going to go ahead and add icons to mine. When I'm finished, I'll post a picture and include the menu.xml file if anyone wants to use it.

Here's a first-boot picture of the 64 bit. This is with PCManFM's control over the desktop disabled...

firstboot_1.png?1508899872


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#118 2017-10-25 12:07:00

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Downloads of the Ascii version are at...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … TRA-Ascii/


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#119 2017-10-25 18:40:16

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

MiyoLinux wrote:

Downloads of the Ascii version are at...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … TRA-Ascii/

I've also just added a .zip file for the alternative menu with icons (found at the same link in the quote above)...so it's there if anyone wants to try it.

Instead of posting pictures, here's a short video showing what it looks like.

https://youtu.be/_3TvGQrLK_w


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#120 2017-10-25 19:23:55

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 1,307  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Very cool Miyo.

Offline

#121 2017-10-25 21:14:32

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I am amazed of the size of the thing.  When I gave it a try I added a tiny bit more and the image doubled.

Offline

#122 2017-10-26 01:40:42

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 741  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

golinux wrote:

Very cool Miyo.

Thank you ma'am.

fungus wrote:

I am amazed of the size of the thing.  When I gave it a try I added a tiny bit more and the image doubled.

The installed size? If so, that surprised me too. I've installed several things, but not a whole lot...and I'm already over 11 GBs.


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#123 2017-10-26 07:04:31

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I was referring to the image (iso)

Offline

#124 2017-10-26 11:20:47

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167  

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Check that you don't have an old image iso (in the /home directory, I think), I have forgotten to delete the previous iso before now, when remastering.

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-10-26 11:21:16)

Offline

#125 2017-10-26 14:19:59

fungus
Member
From: Any witch way
Registered: 2017-07-12
Posts: 497  
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I keep the OEM names and they always seem to be different than previous.  This has a date right?

Miyo-XTRA-Ascii-64bit-20171024

It also has a signature file for shasums and I do check those.  It is about .5GB which is damn good for a developed desktop.

If you built a stretch (ascii equivalent) with a base install and just add X,DM,& openbox, I think you end up with more than Miyo-Xtra.  Then you have to go through the pain of installing more stuff to make it functional (relatively) and configuring.  Unless you are using openbox for choosing colors and fonts for a terminal.  Debian--menu seems like something from the 70s and most of the menu items are not functional till you install their pointers.

I'm going to work on my celeron-xtra now with 256k-Ram smile

Offline

Board footer