The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-04 13:45:53

Ottavio

Does anybody run a full fledged MATE desktop on Jessie?

Hi all.

I haven't migrated my system from LMDE 2 to Devuan (still keeping an eye on LMDE 3, which should be imminent).

In the meantime, I was thinking of tweaking my sources.list and replace the Debian sources with Devuan Jessie (yes, I know cross-upgrading is not recommended!)

In any case, I'd like to keep my MATE as there is a tendency in Mint to replace it with Cinnamon nowadays.

I couldn't find Devuan Jessie release notes, but from the ASCII notes:

### Session management and policykit backends

Devuan 2.0 ASCII provides a choice of 5 Desktop Environments at
install time (XFCE, Cinnamon, KDE, LXQT, MATE), while many other
window managers are available from the repositories.

[...]

Each of the 5 DEs available in Devuan comes with a recommended default
combination of login manager (either slim or lightdm) and session
management system:

[...]

- MATE: slim + consolekit

I have already mate and consolekit.

Am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is:

1) replace MDM (the LMDE window manager) with slim

2) update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

and I should be done with it?

Or am I missing something?

#2 2018-07-04 20:39:00

rolfie

Re: Does anybody run a full fledged MATE desktop on Jessie?

I won't comment if an upgrade from LDME to Devuan Jessie/ASCII will be successful. You may give it a try (but make a backup before or try it in a virtual machine). What I would recommend though is that you should use ASCII. Jessie comes with Mate 1.8 while ASCII uses Mate 1.16. This is definitely an improvement.

I am running ASCII with MATE and LightDM (same as my old Wheezy PCs). The PC of my wife was running Wheezy/LightDM/Mate from Backports. I gave her a new PC that was upgraded from Devuan Jessie to ASCII in March and since then runs fine with consolekit. I tried another PC directly from ASCII RC, there consolekit does not work. I had to switch to the elogind stuff. There are some threads about this in this forum.

Going back: After trying the default install of Jessie which brings XFCE (not my favorite), I made some tests to install Mate on top and then to switch, which wasn't really satisfying. So I started to install Jessie with only the basic system files, no graphical desktop, upgraded to ASCII (that was before a CD/DVD was available re. I did find it), and then installed xorg, lightdm and mate and configured the PC the way I liked it. Works fine this way.

Regards, rolfie

Board footer