The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-12 23:05:10

Michael Siegel
d1g

Substitute "Debian" in man pages

When it comes to filtering out the Debian branding of packages in Devuan, man pages are also an issue.

For example, the man page for `useradd` states: "useradd is a low level utility for adding users. On Debian, administrators should usually use adduser(8) instead."

I guess there are quite some similar spots in other man pages throughout the system.

Project: devuan/devuan-project
Issue: #99
By: Michael Siegel

#2 2017-07-18 18:51:20

Count_Cucaracha

Re: Substitute "Debian" in man pages

With the proper regex this should be somewhat trivial.  First create a list of what strings that need to remain and then devise the regexes for those and skip them. All other occurrences get changed.

Maybe this is the only one???

Debian GNU/Linux distribution

#3 2017-07-18 18:59:08

golinux
Administrator

The problem is that most of those files are merged from the Debian repos directly and not on Devuan servers so we have no way to control the content.  Changes can be made in the files that have been repackaged for Devuan

#4 2017-07-18 19:14:18

Count_Cucaracha

I don't understand this. But not important for me to understand it since I don't have to fix it. But seems to me that the fix would occur in the repackaging phase. But then again maybe what you're trying to tell me is that the repackaging phase mostly leaves files alone as much as possible.

If that's the case then you're implying an additional built step is required to fix this. So then the question is why is that a problem? Are there resource limitations? Time constraints? Both?

#5 2017-07-18 19:28:44

golinux
Administrator

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

I don't understand this. But not important for me to understand it since I don't have to fix it. But seems to me that the fix would occur in the repackaging phase. But then again maybe what you're trying to tell me is that the repackaging phase mostly leaves files alone as much as possible.

If that's the case then you're implying an additional built step is required to fix this. So then the question is why is that a problem? Are there resource limitations? Time constraints? Both?

Over 90% of packages available in Devuan come directly from the Debian repos.  We have no control over the content including the Debian branding.  Those that we have repackaged are available for Debian branding to be replaced with Devuan branding.

#6 2017-07-18 20:56:56

fsmithred
Administrator

Michael Siegel wrote:

For example, the man page for `useradd` states: "useradd is a low level utility for adding users. On Debian, administrators should usually use adduser(8) instead."

I just booted an Xubuntu-14.04 iso, and it says the exact same thing. We don't need to get them all. On that same iso,  'cat /etc/debian_version' gives me 'jessie/sid' and there is no /etc/ubuntu_version or /etc/xubuntu_version.

#7 2017-07-21 00:19:33

Count_Cucaracha

golinux wrote:

Over 90% of packages available in Devuan come directly from the Debian repos.  We have no control over the content including the Debian branding.  Those that we have repackaged are available for Debian branding to be replaced with Devuan branding.

So the packages go straight from debian to the end-user's system when they install devuan? Or do they go to a mirror?

If they go to the end-user than any branding changes would have to happen during the install phase?
Which would add time to the install and make it slow?

Just trying to understand the flow.

#8 2017-07-21 01:22:14

golinux
Administrator

Count_Cucaracha wrote:
golinux wrote:

So the packages go straight from debian to the end-user's system when they install devuan? Or do they go to a mirror?

Yes, they come straight from the Debian repos

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

If they go to the end-user then any branding changes would have to happen during the install phase?
Which would add time to the install and make it slow?

Yes and yes

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

Just trying to understand the flow.

https://git.devuan.org/devuan-infrastructure/amprolla
https://github.com/parazyd/amprolla

#9 2017-07-22 00:41:25

Count_Cucaracha

Have been trying amprolla and having issues. 404s and other stuff.

For example I pared down the lib/config.py to just ascii and amd64 and main but it still wants to do stuff with arm,mips,ppc,etc. and non-free, contrib.

#10 2017-07-22 00:56:59

golinux
Administrator

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

For example I pared down the lib/config.py to just ascii and amd64 and main but it still wants to do stuff with arm,mips,ppc,etc. and non-free, contrib.

I posted that to help you "understand the flow". I never expected you'd try it - that's a first - and/or expect it to work outside of the devuan infrastructure.  Have no idea what you're trying to accomplish but it could annoy Debian if you're hitting their repos just for fun.

#11 2017-07-22 01:17:43

Count_Cucaracha

golinux wrote:

I posted that to help you "understand the flow". I never expected you'd try it - that's a first - and/or expect it to work outside of the devuan infrastructure.  Have no idea what you're trying to accomplish but it could annoy Debian if you're hitting their repos just for fun.

I was already trying it before you mentioned, so you're relieved of any/all responsibility.

I'm trying to create a mirror locally for my own purposes.  I will probably use lftp with exclusions to get only what I need.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1152

As for annoying debian are you suggesting they might throttle access?  I don't intend to abuse any of the mirrors but I would be surprised if they cared enough. I consider myself to be a good netizen.

#12 2017-07-22 01:20:53

Centurion Dan

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

1) We don't recommend nor expect users to run amprolla - there is no point in doing so.
2) It is an internal tool that creates the /merged repository which provides the devuan and debian packages making the complete distrobution but using 302 redirects to point to the respective upstream debian or devuan pool for getting the actual package or source files.  The amprolla generated mirror doesn't contain any packages itself.
3) it sounds like you've configured it wrong...

Board footer