The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-29 02:25:50

PICCORO Gerhard Lenz McKAY
d1g

Utf8 problems in X vs console for file names and others

there some problems with utf8 files...

i not use recent Debian versions, i used directly Devuan, and respect Debian squeeze i noted that by example the file:
`El universo últimos descubrimientos.mp4`
are displayed as
`El universo ?@ltimos descubrimientos.mp4`

ok that not so bad.. but the problerm not end here, if i try to added that file to smplayer, smplayer :
1) if the file name are added to list or opened, does not play
2) sometimes file name are not displayed in file browser event i specified "all files" in filter

this NOT HAPPENED in Debin squeeze, but i noted happened in Debian jeesie (i never used the wheeze and i now use only the Devuan)

Project: devuan/devuan-project
Issue: #101
By: PICCORO Gerhard Lenz McKAY

#2 2017-07-16 13:31:09

pepa65

Re: Utf8 problems in X vs console for file names and others

Sorry I can't help (yet), this is a ME TOO reply. I should probably report this as a bug. Or at least a solution should be found for this problem. Devuan is NOT UTf-8 capable.

#3 2017-07-23 18:06:17

mckaygerhard
Website

seems there more problems related to Xfce4

#869477 in debian bugtracker

also i noted that Devuan does not take so much care of non-english users or non-france users...

the overall behaviour of the languaje and locale are totally broken

#4 2017-07-24 15:54:21

mckaygerhard
Website

still without response here!

#5 2017-07-24 19:34:17

greenjeans
Website

pepa65 wrote:

Devuan is NOT UTf-8 capable.

That's not true, utf-8 is all I use, on multiple machines. Works fine for me.

@Piccoro: Seems just as likely what you have is a font issue. I just made a text file with random stuff just to have a file to name, and I saved it as the first example you gave ;`El universo últimos descubrimientos.mp4`, and my file manager (Caja) displays it just fine, here's a screenie:

2pquccn.png

I can however confirm that Mate terminal on my 32 bit install fails on the accent-marked U and gives me the question mark on that character alone.

You haven't given any details about your install, so it's kinda hard for anyone to try and reproduce much less troubleshoot, a LOT more details are needed and some specifics about what you have tested.

I'll test lxterminal and openbox/pcmanfm here shortly.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-07-24 19:49:22)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Refracta and Miyolinux had too many tequila shots one night...    ....9 months later a vuu-do chile was born.....;-)

#6 2017-07-24 20:05:32

mckaygerhard
Website

as i posted all the details are in the bugtraker of devuan.. and in the git also.. i tedious repeat the info

http://bugs.devuan.org//cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=104&msg=1

#7 2017-07-24 20:37:08

greenjeans
Website

mckaygerhard wrote:

as i posted all the details are in the bugtraker of devuan.. and in the git also.. i tedious repeat the info

http://bugs.devuan.org//cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=104&msg=1

That still doesn't contain info on what file manager he was using, as I just demonstrated not all of them have a problem.

Still haven't heard what desktop environment is being used.

Still haven't heard what terminal emulator is having issues.

These details are important.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-07-26 21:01:14)

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Refracta and Miyolinux had too many tequila shots one night...    ....9 months later a vuu-do chile was born.....;-)

#8 2017-07-24 20:48:36

mckaygerhard
Website

in any file manager are happened as post was XFCE and LXDE, i place also a download from net directly using wget in the real VT (no x) also then later using vt

umm i postred those details here: https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-pr … #note_9779 very older i think

as you can note, the issue are the same as the reported, i posted that just after install i got the problem, so is the XFCE desktop due i used the CD flavor, later the other guy said happened in the DVD seems was solve partially

i not try the font related.. i try to install some fonts and report feedback later (at leas with russian env)

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-07-24 20:49:35)

#9 2017-07-24 22:17:25

greenjeans
Website

Okay, did some more checking, in 64-bit Devuan (jessie) openbox en_US utf-8, no issues displaying the OP's file name in pcmanfm or lxterminal.

#10 2017-07-25 20:51:32

fsmithred
Administrator

I am testing.

US keyboard, locale is set to en_US.UTF-8, xfce desktop, devuan jessie. I added the keyboard-layout plugin to the panel and added Spanish and selected it for the keyboard layout. Only US English and Italian are configured locales.

Renamed a video file to áéúñÑ.mkv.
Ran mpv áéúñÑ.mkv and the file plays.
Ran vlc áéúñÑ.mkv and the file plays.  Also can open vlc from the menu and select the file to play.

I have also done tests in the past and have installed the system with Italian from both DVD iso and desktop-live iso. Language support in Devuan is definitely not totally broken as stated above.

Someone in irc was having trouble with unicode in xfce. There is a problem, but we have not found the cause yet and nobody there knows how to reproduce the problem. (That is, unicode is working for the rest of us.)

#11 2017-08-07 17:43:11

mckaygerhard
Website

i found now with debian stable: reported to devuan at bug #129 bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=129

1) install devuan stable in spanish, with russian as optinoal

all the install process are in spanish, and in locales screen generates all the es_XX , us_XX and ru_XX locales,, and the default are es_VE. UTF8

when goes to the login screen, choose russian with xfce4

RESULT: break strings, many entries still in spanish, diccionarys does not are enabled in russian, i must enabled by default)

this not happened in Debian squeeze and lenny , but now also happened in Debian wheeze/jessie and Devuan jessie

2) install Devuan in russian (very bad traslated hey) with spanish as optional

all the install process are in russian, and in locales screen generates all the es_XX , us_XX and ru_XX locales,, and the default are ru_RU. UTF8 (no ucranian, hey)

when goes to the login screen, choose russian with xfce4 and all the missing translations are corrected and not in spanish

RESULT i then now choose spanish: break strings still in russian, diccionarys does not are enabled in russian or spanish, i must enabled by default)

this not happened in Debian squeeze and lenny , but now also happened in Debian wheeze/jessie and Devuan jessie

3) if you have many languajes aneabled, the lightdm does not saved the languaje choosed!

4) gdm3 does not display russian languaje

WICH PACKAGE CORRESPOND THAT PROBLEM¡? how users send this with reportbug?

#12 2017-08-07 21:14:40

fungus
Website

https://pasteboard.co/GEBgWxW.png

$ Μψ Δενυαη ςεεμμς το Ηαηδλε ιτ νετψ ννεΙΙ
bash: Μψ: command not found
$ My Devuan seems to handle it very well

It is storing file names in Greek UTF8

Get your locales fixed, something is messed up, and I did an all en_IE.UTF-8  installation
In Debian after an upgrade from jessie to stretch/testing (then, more than a year ago)
I had the same mess.

All my $ locale  fields are en_IE.UTF-8 but it accepts greek which is much more complex than
Spanish just fine.

Tell us what the output for $ locale   is

Also run as root/sudo
$ sudo /usr/sbin/update-locale
$ sudo /usr/sbin/locale-gen

#13 2017-08-08 00:26:24

mckaygerhard
Website

the problem of file names are solved in last stable jessie 1.0 of Devuan, but now this but are Inherited from debian, o, https://bugs.devian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=129

1) install devuan stable in spanish, with russian as optinoal

all the install process are in spanish, and in locales screen generates all the es_XX , us_XX and ru_XX locales,, and the default are es_VE. UTF8

when goes to the login screen, choose russian with xfce4

RESULT: break strings, many entries still in spanish, diccionarys does not are enabled in russian, i must enabled by default)

2) install Devuan in russian (very bad traslated hey) with spanish as optional

all the install process are in russian, and in locales screen generates all the es_XX , us_XX and ru_XX locales,, and the default are ru_RU. UTF8 (no ucranian, hey)

when goes to the login screen, choose russian with xfce4 and all the missing translations are corrected and not in spanish

RESULT i then now choose spanish: break strings still in russian, diccionarys does not are enabled in russian or spanish, i must enabled by default)

3) if you have many languajes aneabled, the lightdm does not saved the languaje choosed!

4) gdm3 does not display russian languaje and if default are spanish does not display greek, i think its something related to fonts ?

#14 2017-08-08 01:58:01

fsmithred
Administrator

lightdm language selector has been broken for a long time, and slim doesn't have a language selector. I believe the old gdm did work correctly, and I've never tried gdm3, but it wouldn't surprise me if they broke that when they broke gnome. (in this case, "broke" means "made it look like a phone")

For the devuan live isos, I arranged it so that when you select another language, two lines get copied into a file in /etc/profile.d/. You could put these lines in ~/.profile instead.

export LANG=es_VE.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=es_VE.UTF-8

You have to log out and log in again for it to take effect. This will not change the keyboard layout - you have to do that separately. And switching back and forth between different languages would be a pain. Maybe some clever scripting could make it almost as easy as selecting the language from a list.

#15 2017-08-08 12:31:30

mckaygerhard
Website

umm that's you said was similar to some patches made at winbuntu LXDM package..  i dont understand why devuan, err i mean DEBIAN only offers 4 display managers and only two of them are complex with all features (GDM3 and lightdm)

so then its a fact that devuan its just a debian copy without systemd, the same problem are in debian..

i propose that Devuan has packages of LXDM (years in unstable in Debian) and others like sddm or property package others, winbuntu offers more choices: https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/x-display-manager

#16 2017-08-08 13:40:27

mckaygerhard
Website

i confirmed, its a problem in display managers .. all the debian (and obviously in consecuence now devuan) display managers are broken..

the lxdm patch  debian/patches/22_ubuntu-i18n_oneiric.patch uses the profile file to internally set and copy the LC_xxxx environment variables and property set languaje to desktop user

i can now login and set file names correctly and use better the unstranslated entries in xfce4 menues..  sorry about xfce4 but not set property the languaje environment if are mixed

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-08-08 13:40:49)

#17 2017-08-08 18:14:20

fungus
Website

You forgot that there is also slim, which may be a little old, but still works.

X display managers

gdm - Gnome Display Manager
kdm - KDE Display Manager
lightdm - desktop-independent customizable display manager
lxdm - LXDE display manager (currently in sid)
sddm - display manager for X11 aiming to be fast, simple and beautiful
slim - desktop-independent graphical login manager for X11
wdm - WINGs Display Manager (using the WINGs widget-set used in Window Maker)
xdm - Xorg's default display manager.
nodm - automatically start an X session at system boot (without prompting password, for single user environment).

#18 2017-08-08 20:14:35

mckaygerhard
Website

gdm does not exits anymore -> gdm3 and its broken for mixed/multilingual
kdm does not exist anymore -> was superset by lightdm+kde theme
lightdm shows the alternates languajes but does not saved and does not set property all the settings
lxdm are not in repositories, and only are in experimental/sid
sddm are only in winbuntu and not in debian , so then not in devuan
slim, does not have languaje selector, so unusefull
wdm ??? please!
xdm !!!! please are complety broken does nto set property the langs
nodm does not set languaje, user wants to change (many users use a same session as invited users)

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-08-08 20:15:45)

#19 2017-08-08 23:01:00

fsmithred
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

i dont understand why devuan, err i mean DEBIAN only offers 4 display managers and only two of them are complex with all features (GDM3 and lightdm)

Maybe nobody is interested enough to do the work on those other display managers. Or maybe there are enough devs who think you should be using gdm3 with gnome3 and liking it the way they serve it to you.

so then its a fact that devuan its just a debian copy without systemd, the same problem are in debian..

Yeah, some of the same. And a good portion of the few devuan devs who exist would be happy to not have to worry about creating a desktop distribution and let people do that downstream.

i propose that Devuan has packages of LXDM (years in unstable in Debian) and others like sddm or property package others, winbuntu offers more choices: https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/x-display-manager

Please tell me more about the lxdm you're using. Where did you get it, and did you have to apply the patch yourself? I use lightdm in my Refracta isos, and the language selector has caused difficulties for years. We have a custom live-config script to get around the problems, but that only works in a live session.

#20 2017-08-08 23:18:02

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

Or maybe there are enough devs who think you should be using gdm3 with gnome3 and liking it the way they serve it to you.

WTF!!! i must use gnome-puach due those guys have delirium of power! i dont think the freedom are in this way!

Yeah, some of the same. And a good portion of the few devuan devs who exist would be happy to not have to worry about creating a desktop distribution and let people do that downstream.

i ts the firs time that a devuan forum administrator acepts the facts!

Please tell me more about the lxdm you're using. Where did you get it, and did you have to apply the patch yourself? I use lightdm in my Refracta isos, and the language selector has caused difficulties for years. We have a custom live-config script to get around the problems, but that only works in a live session.

1) you using the wrong display manager, the guys that make lightdm assumed only one languaje per system.. also lightdm try to be simple and light but nevermind! its now complicated and requite lot of depends
2) lxdm! please, the name itselft said! LXDE Display Management, low depends, too low (compiles into gtk 2.20 and libc6 2.3.6) and i send many patches to upstream and to debian to solve many bugs..
3) custom scripts must be in postsession in display managers seems you are manage the problem in worng way.. or well, lxdm provides like ifconig script post and pre login steps to inserts scripts

i packaged to venenux here: http://intranet1.net.ve/venenux/mskcommon/desktop/lxdm/
debian has lasted with my patches/bugsreports included: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lxdm

so means ASCII in Devuan now will have lxdm available.. devuan must backport the lxdm to jessie to solve the broken and stupid slim/lightdm limitations and errors

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-08-08 23:52:32)

#21 2017-08-08 23:50:26

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

so means ASCII in Devuan now will have lxdm available.. devuan must backport the lxdm to jessie to solve the broken and stupid slim/lightdm limitations and errors

lxdm will only appear in Devuan if someone steps forward to package and maintain it for Devuan.  Then it will likely have to work its way up from experimental.   It is not as simple as copying a deb from another repo and adding it to Devuan's repos.

#22 2017-08-09 02:10:51

mckaygerhard
Website

umm you have right, lxdm depends on systemd, due has a service file in the debian source directory.. so then must be repackaged..

well devuan must change the slimm to lxdm if want to avoid languaje problems, the only problem i found in lxdm are screens sizes in dell T110 special servers and Asus Eeepc 2G/4G 7XX models as i documented in the friendsofdevuan wiki site!

i have repackaged and adapted yet to non-systemd in the venenux repo cited previously so its not dificult! pleaase, counting that lxdm solved many things..  make sense must be adopted by the devuan manpowers

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-08-09 02:11:30)

#23 2017-08-09 02:18:47

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

well devuan must change the slimm to lxdm if want to avoid languaje problems, the only problem i found in lxdm are screens sizes in dell T110 special servers and Asus Eeepc 2G/4G 7XX models as i documented in the friendsofdevuan wiki site!

This is one possibility.  Or another even better one may appear. 

i have repackaged and adapted yet to non-systemd in the venenux repo cited previously so its not dificult! pleaase, counting that lxdm solved many things..  make sense must be adopted by the devuan manpowers

Repeating what I said two posts above . . . you may have repackaged lxdm but it would still have to be built specifically for Devuan.  Your package cannot be adopted directly.  Perhaps someone will take on that task or perhaps no one.  Time will tell . . .

#24 2017-08-09 02:29:29

mckaygerhard
Website

This is one possibility.  Or another even better one may appear.

its the fasted and most sense, the most proper and correcte its the acdapt of the patch i cited in slim and lightdm, but for those are very hard i think:

the proper solution its adapt the lxdm patch  debian/patches/22_ubuntu-i18n_oneiric.patch to all the others display managers, that uses the profile file to internally set and copy the LC_xxxx environment variables and property set languaje to desktop user, in fact this patch forgot one .. the LANG environment, all the variables must be set, to QT and GTK interfaces property interactues with all the translated string in mixed languaje environments..
this its not a "tale" its a fact and real problem by years since wheeze, due in squeeze and lenny (my good and very older instalations) does not fail..

Repeating what I said two posts above . . . you may have repackaged lxdm but it would still have to be built specifically for Devuan.

was the big problem, only removes the service file and put in the repository.. tell to the manager to autobuil to all the archs (uff so many only two in devuan) and that's all, in upstream, author are very receptive to me when i send the patches..

i pretty tested TESTED WELL in amount of hardware, real hardware, and only have problems of size screen in GPU's that only have << 4 Mb of video ram

i must now copy that to debian also due the problem persist too in Debian..

#25 2017-08-09 03:57:59

fsmithred
Administrator

i ts the firs time that a devuan forum administrator acepts the facts!

It must be the first time you noticed it. Delivering debian without systemd has been the main guiding princple of devuan since it started.

3) custom scripts must be in postsession in display managers seems you are manage the problem in worng way.. or well, lxdm provides like ifconig script post and pre login steps to inserts scripts

live-config sets up the display manager when you boot into a live system. It's appropriate to make custom changes by creating your own live-config script.

Well, I didn't think to look in the repo, but you're right. LXDM is there. 0.5.3-2 is in stretch, buster, sid, ascii and ceres. I just installed it in ascii, and it looks pretty good. Reminds me of the old gdm (similar controls). It does not require systemd.

I only have two languages configured, and it switches between them easily. I only looked at the menus and the terminal. The menu in lxpanel is right, but the openbox menu is still in english. Menu bars in apps and system messages in terminal are right. XFCE applications menu did not get translated.

Is there a patch for this version? If so, it should be fixed upstream, and if that's not possible, it should be put on git.devuan.org where it can make its way into the repo.

Board footer